Thursday, September 3, 2015

TGC Alumnus Noah Zeichner on EdWeek


Teacher Leadership in Global Education

Noah Zeichner is a social studies teacher at the Chief Sealth International High School in Seattle, WA.  Last week, he contributed as a guest blogger on the Education Week Blog with the post, "Why Teacher Leaders Are Critical to Advancing Global Education".  In the article, Noah talks about teacher leadership as essential to making systemic impact in internationalizing teaching and learning. 

Noah talks about his experience as a TGC Fellow in 2011-2012 as a formative part of his journey to be a global educator:

"When I started the fellowship, I already considered myself a global educator.  I taught in an international school.  I had coordinated a large school-wide global project.  I was an avid world traveler and brought my international experiences back to my classroom.  But after a few weeks in the program, I realized I had a lot to learn.

The most important less was how to define and explain what global education really means.  I started to see past the content (global education is more than just teaching about the world).  Globally competent students (and teachers) must develop critical 21st century competencies that allow us to empathize and collaborate with people who have very different worldviews than our own."

For more about his TGC experience and its impact on his teaching and the work he is doing in Washington, check out Noah's blog and follow him on Twitter!


No comments :

Post a Comment